I’m so thrilled to announce that Underwater Healer About Face project was on USA Today last weekend!
1. The new normal is scary.
Really scary. So don’t disappear on me when treatment ends! I may need you more than ever.
2. You can’t catch cancer from me.
It’s not contagious. You can stop avoiding me now.
3. Everything might not be okay.
Please don’t tell me that you “know” it will be.
4. If you can’t handle this, I don’t have time for you.
So if you walk away, don’t try and come back when I’m healthy again.
5. Everyone’s experience with cancer is different.
So you really have to stop talking about your brother’s sister-in-law’s cousin who passed away from cancer. It doesn’t help.
6. Chemo brain is real.
And it’s hard to deal with. Please be patient with me. It’s not like I want to be forgetful.
7. Cancer doesn’t define me.
So can we please talk about something else? I’m still me.
8. Life with cancer is an emotional rollercoaster.
The kind that goes upside down and leaves you hanging with the blood rushing to your face for a while—so, yeah, I might be optimistic one day and a huge b**** the next. It happens.